Thursday, August 27, 2009

Spanish Grand Prix Live

It was three or four. I am not sure. Numbers were always been a pain and every day I try to run away from numbers. Numbers are those silly mosquitoes that disturb your sleep and spoil your dreams. Compromise is the new language of Peace. Yes, there were three long pan stained tooth emerged out from his mouth. Curly oiled hair was not combed but looked like fresh black noodles (What?). He was wearing a fake Ray Ban Aviator so nobody can see his eyes. For a moment I thought of some south Indian superstars jumping and flying in air fighting for justice. I have enjoyed many movies of them playing super human auto drivers and taxi drivers. But this one was a bus driver in the state owned KSRTC SuperFast. A Superstar in a SuperFast!

There were hardly fifteen people sitting in the bus. I took the side seat in the front raw.

Suddenly a heat of compression ignited the diesel in the combustion chamber. A cloud of black smoke appeared in the air. A narrow gap opened between the flywheel and layshaft. The rusty gear box created a roaring sound like a lion. The wheels of the SuperFast performed a complete revolution. Within a second all passengers half opened their mouth to acknowledge the tremendous gain in the speed. The driver gave an attitude pause. He got fully charged. He ignored the traffic signals, crowd and all mad traffic in the road. Suddenly I fell into a state of delirium. There is no crwod in the road. The road is clean and smooth.I can only hear some vrooming sounds of cars. It is Circuit de Catalonia and I am in Barcelona, Spain. It was Lewis Hamilton in Mc Laren ahead of us. When I looked back; wow it was Fernando Alonso, my favorite driver. Then I tried to spot Kimi Raikonnen and his Ferrari. He was nowhere in the scene. Where is Jenson Button?. There was sound and smoke everywhere.One hour thirty minutes of drama of speed with high tech sound and visual effects.Then our team radio announced we are in fourth position in the final lap. No more pit stop for wheel change and re fuelling. A tight race. I heard the roaring sound of the gearbox once again and then experienced the ultimate momentum of flying. Yes I could see Button who was fast moving in the first position. Oh my God it happened. We overtook Button and finally saw the chequered flag. The victorious moment burst in to a celebration. Standing in the winner’s podium higher than Button and Barrichello our superstar smiled in anxiety. He carefully opened the Champagne bottle and sprayed the Champagne all over us. Few drops of it wet my face.

When I woke up it was raining outside. I closed the window shutter of my seat. After a few minutes I reached my destination. Later in the night before I sleep I thought about speed, competition, fast life, SuperFast, life insurance, victory, failure, time and numbers. Do numbers really matter?

( KSRTC SuperFast buses are known as the fastest vehicles in Kerala Roads)

1 comment:

  1. thats somethng different thought :) cool pict. too..

    ReplyDelete